Tuesday, January 20, 2009

One proud mom of this GREAT nation!

As I sit and reflect on the activities and happenings of January 20, 2009. I feel honored to live in this great nation...where my daughter lives the Martin Luther King dream..as proven today. My daughter or any of our children "will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

I am so proud to have my daughter witness such an awesome event and defeat for our country. I think as I reflect on today's events...I will reflect through my daughter's eyes where she sees no difference in a person. I had the opportunity to watch the days events with her (since she was home sick:(). Emma always says she wants curly hair...well as they were scrolling through old photos of Mr. President...she looked at me and said..."Mommy I wish I had Obama's curly hair!" Through a child's eye there is no color, no race, just a person. When we watched the ball tonight...she commented on the beautiful dress Michelle had on and said..."Mommy she is a beautiful princess." "She has straight hair like me!" I guess what I am trying to get at is I hope my daughter NEVER encounters any negative feeling towards her about being any different from the next person, because we teach her everyone is different for good reasons. I hope that every person no matter what race, nationality, etc., etc. have the same opportunities that you and I do. I hope that that equality prevails for all!

I am a proud Mom and a proud American tonight. Proud to be a part and witness one of the most monumental moments in our nation's history. I feel I have a connection with Dr. King...always standing firm and fighting for what I believe in...I know he is happy today to see one of his many dreams come to life.

As I close, I would like to leave you photos of another proud day in my life that signifies life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness:

1 comment:

Darcie said...

You said it so well Angie! We live in a great country, where so many things are possible. I am so glad I was able to witness history being made...amazing!